For the purpose of further responding to the call of Xi Jinping thought on ecological civilization, and satisfying with requirements of “making more efforts on ecological civilization publicity and education”, and “cultivating and popularizing ecological culture” as it proposed in the Opinion of State Council, PRC on Comprehensively Strengthen the Ecological and Environmental Protection and Make Well Preparation for Long Term Pollution Prevention and Control, the Ministry of Ecology and Environment have decided to start a call for “China’s Ecological and Environmental Protection Mascot” in order to express and promote ecological and environmental protection concept, value and ecological culture with Chinese characteristics through vivid and international visual element. The related details are as follows:
This activity is hosted by the Ministry of Ecology and Environment (MEE) of China, and operated by the Center for Environmental Education and Communications of MEE, with the guidance of the Department of Publicity and Education of MEE.
II. Contents and Requirements
1. Name: China’s Ecological and Environmental Protection Mascot
2. Concept: A vivid image or international visual symbol to show Chinese ecological and environmental protection concept, value and ecological culture.
3. Theme: The design should be able to show the connotation of Xi Jinping thought on ecological civilization and advocate the concept that “lucid waters and lush mountains are invaluable assets”, “nature should be respected, adapted to, and protected” and “every person is a protector, contributor, and beneficiary of the environment ” etc, to motivate the general public to “protect our natural environment in the same way we would protect our own wellbeing”, “uphold harmonious coexistence between humans and nature” and “translate the idea of building a beautiful China into the conscious actions of all people”.
1) The mascot shall be designed with vivid shape, distinct theme and rich contents. The character should be personified and modern, and show artistic and extensible features. All designs should be original and have never publically published.
2) Design work provided should be accompanied with a meaningful and catchy name (Chinese or English) .
3) The applied work can be done by single drawings, or multiple drawings of different scenarios, gestures with vibrant colors. It needs to be applicable to the promotion and re-production of different forms of media types including print media, stereoscopic and electronic media.
4) The work should include a 500-words or less clear, simple and short description.
5) The work should be submitted in TIF or JPG, and source file in AI, PSD with over 600*600dpi definition.
III. Scope of Call
Any natural persons, legal persons and other organizations worldwide who are interested in the design of China’s ecological and environmental protection mascot could individually and jointly join in this activity.
IV. Mode of Participation
Applicants should submit the design work in e-format along with the description of the design work to email address: email@example.com. Please specify the email title as “Call for “China’s Ecological and Environmental Protection Mascot-country or region-name of the designer”, and attach the name and occupation (as well as the employer) of the designer, and also the mailing address and contact number in the body text.
Contact person: Zhiqiang Jiao, Juan Xiao.
(1) Call: From the date of announcement to March 31, 2020.
(2) Preliminary Evaluation: April 1 to 15, 2020. During this period, the host organization will organize experts to make preliminary evaluation on candidates and have those qualified with preliminary evaluation show on media for public voting.
(3) Re-evaluation: April 16 to 30, 2020. During this period, the list of qualified nominees will be determined according to the result of media votes and review comment of experts.
(4) Publicity: May 1 to 31, 2020. During this period, the list of qualified nominees will be publicized under the public supervision and then the mascot will be finally determined according to procedures. The publicity period will last one week.
(5) Unveiling: June 5, 2020. The Ministry of Ecology and Environment will unveil “China’s Ecological and Environmental Protection Mascot” on June 5, the Environment Day, and exhibit it in relevant activity scenes.
This call has four classes of awards, including one winner of Grand Prize with RMB 10,000 bonus (before tax); and totally twenty winners of First Prize, Second Prize and Third Prize. Among which, the First Prize winner will receive RMB 3,000 bonus (before tax); and Second Prize RMB 2,000 (before tax) and Third Prize RMB 1,000 (before tax). There will also be several excellent organization awards. All award winning design works will be granted with certificate. The above awards are awarded according to the works, and the prizes are distributed by the relevant creators.
VII. Use of Mascot
After unveiling of mascot, any one working on ecological and environmental protection welfare activities may use it free of charge. The mascot is not allowed to be used for commercial reasons.
(1) The design work submitted shall not be the reproduction, amendment, rearrangement and deduction of the work of any other person (including but not limited to other mascot and cartoon image), nor contain any religious or commercial information, or be against public order and custom. When any work is found with infringement behaviors like copying, the host organization will disqualify the applicant (organization or individual) from this activity and relevant legal responsibility shall be borne by such applicant.
(2) The award winning work in this activity will be considered as the work created upon the entrustment of host organization, so the host organization will be in possession of the copyright (including but not limited to the property rights, related rights and derivative product development rights of the work), trademark right (including but not limited to the registered trademark application rights), intellectual property rights available worldwide. The host organization (including other third party agreed by the host organization) will also have the derivative rights of the work and be able to transfer the intellectual property rights and other related rights including all relevant derivative rights.
(3) The host organization owes the right to exhibit, publish (including e-format) and collect the design work submitted, and is entitled to use such work in relevant work and carrier (like website, poster, media and publications, etc.). The applicant agrees and acknowledges that the host organization may use the design work submitted in this activity without indicating the name of application. Please kindly know that the name of mascot of selected design work may not be the final name of mascot. The host organization shall assume no responsibility for the loss or damage of the design work caused by the unforeseeable event or by other non-official host organizations.
(4) During the activity, the applicant shall be confidential about the data and information related with proposal submitted no matter whether the design work submitted has been nominated or not. It is the responsibility of applicant to not disclose any information or document to any third party in any way. The applicant shall not make commercial promotion at any time, any place or in any way to commercially promote the participation of this call. In the process of this call, the host organization will reserve the right to disqualify any applicant to join in the call in case the applicant violates the above mentioned confidential and promotion restriction obligation. The host organization has the right to make claims against the applicant if his/her violation of foresaid restriction leads to any loss for the host organization.
(5) The applicant will be regarded that he/she agrees and accepts all the stipulations for this call when the design work for this activity is submitted.
(6) The host organization reserves the right of final interpretation of this call.
Ministry of Ecology and Environment
Nov. 18, 2019