(Promulgated by the State Environmental Protection Administration, the Ministry of Public Security and the State Industry and Commerce Administration on June 25, 1999)
Excellent results have been achieved in the prevention and control of noise pollution since the enactment of Law on the Prevention and Treatment of Environmental Noise Pollution of the People's Republic of China more than two years ago. However, noise emission from daily life remains a matter of public concern. To strengthen the control of such noise and ensure residents a sound living environment, a relevant notice is issued as follows:
1. Catering businesses, service and entertainment venues in densely populated urban areas shall adopt effective measures to control noise pollution, and have their border noise meet the environmental noise emission standards promulgated by the State. Entertainment businesses shall not be constructed in places that would disrupt normal study and work order of schools, hospitals and other institutions. Local environmental departments shall not issue construction permits to those who fail to meet such requirements, administrations of industry and commerce shall not issue business licenses to such businesses.
2. Catering businesses, service and entertainment venue already constructed in densely polluted urban areas shall have their border noise meet the environmental noise emission standards promulgated by the State. Any units in residential areas that emit noise shall open at reasonable time at night and shall take sound insulation measures to make their noise emission meet the standards of the State. All units that use such equipment as air conditioners or cooling towers that may emit noise shall take measures to make border noise from such equipment meet environmental noise emission standards promulgated by the State.
Should any unit violate the requirements mentioned above and thus resulting in serious noise pollution, local environmental protection departments shall, according to law, order such unit to improve noise control within given time. If such units still exceed environmental noise emission standards after improvement, local environmental protection departments shall report the specific conditions of such units to the People's governments above county level and shall, within their jurisdiction, order such units to close or remove when at the same time charging such units fees for above-standard discharges and imposing fines on such units. Local administrations of industry and commerce shall, according to law, change or nullify the registration of such units.
3. No individuals or units shall use high-pitch horns in urban building-concentrated areas that are sensitive to noise emission, use high-pitch horns in business activities, or use other facilities that may emit noise to attract customers. Acoustics equipment whose noise emissions seriously pollute the surrounding living environment shall be banned in recreational activities or meetings held in urban public venues such as streets, squares and parks. When interior renovations of buildings are involved, constructors shall not carry out any construction that disturbs residents during rest time at noon or at night.
Any person or unit violating the requirements mentioned above shall be punished by local public security departments according to the Law on the Prevention and Treatment of Environmental Noise Pollution of the People's Republic of China. Should such person or unit act against regulations on security administration, the local security departments shall impose punishment according to the Security Administration Punishment Act.
4. While supervising and managing catering businesses, service and entertainment venues, administrations of industry and commerce may require such businesses or venues to report the intensity, prevention and treatment of their noise emissions. Administrations of industry and commerce shall report to environmental protection departments and take measures promptly if they discover that such businesses or venues are liable to emit noise or have been emitting noise.
5. All units or individuals shall have the rights to complain to environmental protection departments, public security departments and administrations of industry and commerce of the noise pollution caused by any catering businesses, service and entertainment venues. Related departments shall give a quick response on receiving such complaints. Environmental protection departments, public security departments and administrations of industry and commerce at all levels shall, in accordance with the requirements mentioned above, conduct a joint inspection no later than November 15, 1999 to investigate and punish a number of catering businesses, service and entertainment venues whose noise emissions seriously violate law and disturb residents. Such departments and administrations shall make their hot line telephone numbers public to collect tips and determine major units to be inspected. Mass media shall be given full play in supervision and dissemination to facilitate inspections by such departments or administrations. Catering businesses, service and entertainment venues whose noise emissions break the law and disturb residents shall be made known to the public. Environmental protection departments shall report their inspection results to the State Environmental Protection Administration no later than December 15, 1999.